Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Update to Mr. Alfonse 2/21-25/2011

     I'm a little more than halfway done with my project.  Most of the work I have to do is assembly because the structural piece is complete.  I have to put the gears in place, attach the camera, and finish the wood on the structural part.  I bought a gear kit so I have all the materials I need to complete the project and once I get past a certain roadblock I should be able to finish the project within the next couple of weeks.
     This roadblock has caused a lot of problems for me and wasted a lot of valuable work time.  I cannot find the RPM of the motors I am using so I cannot mathematically calculate a way to gear them down.  I hadn't originally planned on doing it mathematically because I do not know what is considered "slow RPM" I was just going to work hands-on until I found the right speed.  I was going to solder the wires that tore back to the motors so that I could work with the gears, but it was brought to my attention that I should do the gearing mathematically.  I wasted a lot of time trying to find the RPM of the motors and was unable to find out what it was.  I intend to go with my original plan to work hands-on with the gearing.  I will be at a program up at NJIT from Wednesday night to Friday and unless I get a monumental amount of work completed tonight at home I can't imagine I will make much progress by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment